Residential Tenant Law in NYC

You are here: Home » Legal Services » Residential Tenant Law in NYC

Tenant Information For Rent Controlled And Rent Stabilized Units

brasch-legal-ny-residential-tenantThe Law Offices of Justin C. Brasch has extensive experience helping rent stabilized and controlled tenants protect their rights in NYC. We have helped hundreds of tenants.

Justin Brasch Can Protect Your Rights

Justin Brasch was the victim of landlord harassment in the 1990’s. He lived with his grandfather in a rent controlled apartment and defended his succession rights. He can help you.

Tenants in rent stabilized or rent controlled apartments need to know their rights. Landlords are always looking for ways to deregulate your apartment.

We Help Tenants With:

    • Apartment deregulation
    • Rent increases
    • Succession rights
    • Non-Primary residence proceedings
    • Owner-use proceedings
    • Lease buyouts

      • Sublet and roommate proceedings
      • Alteration proceedings
      • Nuisance proceedings
      • Rent overcharges
      • Civil litigation of landlord-tenant disputes

      What Is Rent Stabilization?

      Rent stabilization is a type of rent regulation in New York City that protects tenants from sharp increases in their rent. Landlords who own apartments that are subject to rent stabilization can only raise rent according the percentage increases that Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) allows. Rent stabilization also gives tenants the right to renew their lease in most situations. Today, about 1 million New York City apartments are subject to rent stabilization.

      Is My Apartment Eligible For Rent Stabilization?

      There are various factors that determine whether an apartment building is rent stabilized, including the year it was built or renovated (with the building maintaining special tax benefits). There are certain things that can cause an apartment unit to become deregulated, including when the unit becomes vacant and the rent for that unit goes over $2,700. De-regulation can also occur if an apartment building is converted to a co-op or if a landlord wants a unit for his/her own use.

      In you are tenant in rent stabilized or rent controlled apartment, you should know your rights and options. Contact Justin Brasch at (212) 267-2500 to arrange for a consultation. Our office is experienced in all aspects of the judicial process in commercial and residential landlord-tenant matters, including motions, hearings and trials. Our office is highly experienced with Housing Court procedure, NYC Rent Regulations, HPD issues, and DHCR rules and regulations.