Rent Stabilization and Control Law in NYC

Tenant Information for Rent Stabilization and Control Units

Law Offices of Justin C. Brasch, Services, Tenant information for rent controlled and rent stabilized unitsThe Law Offices of Justin C. Brasch has extensive experience helping rent stabilized tenant and controlled tenants protect their rights in NYC. We have helped hundreds of tenants.

Justin Brasch Can Protect Your Rights

In the 1990s, Justin Brasch experienced landlord harassment. He lived in a rent-controlled apartment with his grandfather and fought for his succession rights. He can help you.

Tenants in rent-stabilized or rent-controlled apartments need to know their rights. Landlords are always looking for ways to deregulate your apartment.

We help tenants with:

  • Rent increases
  • Succession rights
  • Non-Primary residence proceedings
  • Owner-user proceedings
  • Lease buyouts
  • Sublet and roommate proceedings
  • Alteration proceedings
  • Nuisance proceedings
  • Rent overcharges
  • Civil litigation of landlord-tenant disputes

What is Rent Stabilization?

Stabilization rent control is a type of rent regulation in New York City that is used as a form of insurance for tenants from sharp increases in their rents. The Rent Guidelines Board is in charge of establishing lease guidelines for rent-stabilized apartments, lofts, and hotels.

Landlords who own rental listing in the NYC are subject to rent stabilization and can only raise rents according to the percentage increases that the Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) allows. Rent stabilization also gives tenants the right to renew their lease in most situations. The goal of this law is to make sure that people can live and afford new york city rent, especially those who have lower incomes. Today, about 1 million New York City apartments are subject to rent stabilization.

Is my apartment or housing rental eligible for Rent Stabilization?

Various factors determine whether it’s one of the rent stabilized apartments, including the exact day it was built or renovated (with the building maintaining special tax benefits). Certain things can cause an apartment unit to become deregulated, including when the unit becomes vacant, and the rent for that unit goes over $2,700. De-regulation can also occur if an apartment building is converted to a co-op or if a landlord wants a unit for his/her use.

If you are a tenant in a rent-stabilized or rent-controlled apartment, you should know your real legal rights and options. Contact Justin Brasch at (212) 267-2500 to arrange a consultation.

Our office is familiar with the city rent guidelines and has extensive experience in all aspects of the judicial process in commercial and residential landlord-tenant matters, including motions, hearings, and trials. Our firm has extensive knowledge of Housing Court procedures, NYC Rent Regulations, HPD issues, and DHCR rules and regulations.







Justin negotiated a lease for our firm’s new offices and he did a great job. He came up with creative and helpful ideas. He was very accessible as well. He is always available to answer questions and to be helpful. I highly recommend Justin’s services as an attorney.

by Chaim Book, Partner, Head of Employment Law Group at Moskowitz & Book, LLP

When my roommate refused to pay rent and leave my apartment I hired Justin Brasch. He brought a lawsuit, evicted the tenant and I got paid. Justin handled the case in an efficient and affordable manner.

by Andy C.

My landlord tried to evict me from my Rent Stabilized apartment by falsely alleging that it was not my primary residence. I hired Justin Brasch and he defended my rights. Justin handled the case in an efficient and affordable manner and it was dismissed.

by Andy C.

Legal Question?

Send Us an Email.